I’m so pleased you loved it too along with your entire Greek feast – yum! Fortunately, tzatziki is super easy to whip together. You have three options when it comes to chopping or shredding your cucumbers. Toss the diced cucumbers with ½ teaspoon salt, put into a mesh strainer set over a bowl, and let sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to draw out as much water from the cucumbers as possible. So tasty and great to use as a dip, too. I came up with the food processor method because I knew I wanted diced cucumbers (I strongly dislike stringy tzatziki) so I was thrilled when it achieved the best texture and made it quick and easy – winning! In additional, Greek yogurt contains probiotic cultures which promotes digestive health. Wrap grated cucumbers in cheesecloth to squeeze all remaining liquid out. ©Carlsbad Cravings by CarlsbadCravings.com, {"@context":"http:\/\/schema.org\/","@type":"Recipe","name":"Tzatziki","author":{"@type":"Person","name":"Jen"},"datePublished":"2019-07-09 23:34:30","image":"https:\/\/carlsbadcravings.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2019\/07\/Tzaztiki-Sauce-2.jpg","description":"Tzatziki Sauce is a lusciously creamy, flavorful sauce or dip that is HEALTHY and EASY! I made this to go with you greek marinated chicken & your lemon rice and some warm naan bread. Cucumber Shred unpeeled cucumber with large holes of grater or food processor. I always know that when I make one of your recipes it will be delicious! Let rest for 20 to 30 minutes. Everything comes together for a the best sauce that you are going to love. Learn how your comment data is processed. You can serve Greek tzatziki as a dip for veggies and pitas, as a spread for burgers and sandwiches or as a sauce for all your favorite Greek recipes from souvlaki to gyros. *, Cystic fibrosis survivor, lung & kidney transplant recipient, LOVER of life and FOOD! In the meantime, peel and finely grate or crush the garlic, then combine with the oil in a large bowl. You don’t need it, you can set your strainer over a sink and just leave it there. I’ve also included tips on how to make the BEST tzatziki recipe – NO runny tzatziki, NO bland tzatziki and NO stringy tzatziki! Tzatziki is a Greek yogurt- and cucumber-based condiment, typically seasoned with herbs such as mint and dill, garlic, and lemon. Their crisp, juicy flesh has all the freshness of a melon but without the sweetness, making them suitable for use in a wide range of light and savory dishes. This form collects your name, email, and content so that we can keep track of the comments placed on the website. Next, layer the slices in the bottom of a colander, and sprinkle a generous pinch of salt over them. To do this pour about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of salt over the shredded cucumbers. Peel the cukes if you want to (or not). It’s a quick and easy recipe that tastes as authentic as the one served at your favorite Mediterranean restaurant. Place grated cucumber in a fine mesh strainer; allow to drain 1 to 2 hours. I would think it would turn the cucs to mush but a couple whirls & they were finally diced, what a brilliant idea you had. I never thought to use a food processor before! It is one of those sauces that tastes fabulously indulgently like hummus because it is SO creamy and makes you want more, more, more BUT it is deceptively healthy; so dip on and dollop on until your belly’s content ;). Chop a few times and add to a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Put them in a colander and sprinkle with the tablespoon of salt (draws water out). To start, you will need a colander or a mesh sieve, and a bowl. The ingredients combined beautifully, perfectly balanced. Add the garlic, dill and lemon juice mixture with the sour cream and Greek yogurt in a large mixing bowl and add kosher salt and pepper keep adding salt until you get … Food is love on Culinary Hill, and I know you feel the same way in your own home. If not, let me introduce you to your new obsession. Place garlic cloves in a mortar and sprinkle with a little salt. Place another layer of cucumbers over the first layer, and salt again. All you need is a healthy pinch of salt and a little time, and you’re well on your way to the crispest salad ever. Add the drained cucumber pieces from the cheesecloth to the bowl along with the olive oil, chopped fresh mint or dill, crushed garlic, lemon juice, and salt. I can’t wait to make this for a vegetable dip. In fact, I think Cool Whip would have made it too sweet and would have given it that “plastiky” flavor, as you call it. Although tzatziki sauce is undeniably Greek, the actual word tzatziki comes from the Turkish word cacık (“kind of edible herb”) which in turn comes from the Armenian word cacıg. Add all Tzatziki ingredients to a medium bowl and stir to combine. Sheet Pan, One Pot Wonders & Foil Packets Cravings. Taste and add additional dill, or lemon juice if desired. Make sure you place the colander over a bowl to catch the liquid as it drains out so you don’t have a mess (or set your strainer over your kitchen sink). Next, layer the slices in the bottom of a colander, and sprinkle a generous pinch of salt over them. Repeat several times. Taste and add additional dill, or lemon juice if desired. Tzatziki Sauce is a versatile condiment that will make all of your Mediterranean recipes better! Stir and let sit 15 minutes. Let sit for 30 minute Drain well and wipe dry with a paper towel. This homemade tzatziki recipe, the traditional Greek cucumber sauce, features fresh dill, creamy Greek yogurt, and garlic. The salt draws moisture out of the cucumbers and allows us to remove the water now instead of it … I look forward to making it often to use just as a dip as well. You can even use it as a dressing and toss your vegetables directly in the sauce. After 2 days, the tzatziki will become a little runny as the cucumbers continue to release moisture – nothing to be too concerned about, but just a fair warning. This Greek tzatziki enlivens everything it graces with a fresh, tangy, garlic kick. For more info check our privacy policy where you will get more info on where, how and why we store your data. But because of the time involved, I’d use this technique on any cucumber-prominent cold salad: Asian cucumber salads, or simple white vinegar, oil, tomato, cucumber, and onion salads…any recipe where you want a crisp slice of cuke. Begin slicing the cucumber in half and then slice each half into 4 equal parts and cut into tiny pieces yet not too thin, just enough for the tzatziki to appear chunky. I’m Jen … read more. The essentials are yogurt and cucumbers, but after that it’s all about what I have on hand and my mood. Add cucumbers, lemon juice, garlic, and When I first started this blog, I wrote a recipe post for gyros and Tzatziki sauce and was just winging it as I truly had no idea what I was doing (meaning the blogging part, not the cooking part)! And YAY that the Chocolate Eclair Cake was such a winner! Scrape out the seeds and grate the cucumber with a standard cheese grater or grater blade in a food processor. Cucumbers are about 98 percent water, so if you don’t squeeze, you’ll have a watery sauce. It is make-ahead friendly (actually tastes better with time) so it’s the perfect dip/condiment to have on hand. Slice cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds using a teaspoon (see picture in post). Taste the tzatziki; add more garlic, lemon juice, or salt to taste if desired. Stir well to ensure the cucumbers are well coated. I’m actually shocked I haven’t posted a tzatziki recipe before now, just many versions of tzatziki such as tzatziki salad dressing and whipped feta tzatziki – because tzatziki makes everything better! Plan on making at least an hour ahead of time but can be made 24 hours ahead of time. Step-by-step instructions: To start, you will need a colander or a mesh sieve, and a bowl. It tastes just like authentic tzatziki and is easy, fresh, vibrant and dippable delicious! You can use tzatziki as a dip for grilled or fresh vegetables. It is also low in cholesterol and calories. Best if chilled at least one hour. I’ve been making various tzatkiki sauce recipes for years & they all are pretty much the same but this by far was the best flavor and texture I’ve ever made. I'm Meggan Hill, the Executive Chef and head of the Culinary Hill Test Kitchen. That’s awesome Lynn, thank you so much! Using a clean paper towel, gently pat the extra salt off the slices, and then proceed with your salad. Yes! That is the perfect potluck cake in my opinion. Using whipped cream instead of Cool Whip made it SO much better. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Maybe I missed it put why are we capturing the liquid? Plan on making at least an hour ahead of time but can be made 24 hours ahead of time. Greek Tzatziki Sauce is full of creamy yogurt, shredded cucumbers, fresh dill, lemon juice, and garlic. I’ve also included tips on how to make the BEST tzatziki recipe – NO runny tzatziki, NO bland tzatziki and NO stringy tzatziki! Tzatziki is a chilled garlicky Greek yogurt and cucumber sauce, dip or spread. This authentic Tzatziki Recipe is homemade with grated cucumbers, fresh dill and plain greek yogurt. We just returned from Greece and we’ve been working to recreate some of the fabulous eats we had there. This tzatziki sauce recipe is made with Greek yogurt, cucumbers, fresh dill, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, salt and pepper for a crazy flavorful sauce. You only need greek yogurt, cucumbers and spices to make this sauce. Grate cucumbers and allow to drain in a sieve, weighted by a heavy plate, for 15 minutes. Is it used in other recipes? Tzatziki is has a lot of letters going on – I have to check my spelling every time! I served this with Greek Chicken and Oven Roasted Greek Potatoes. It’s creamy, delicious and great on more foods than just gyros! The only step that takes any time is draining the cucumber of excess water but this is HANDS OFF time -winning! I grew up eating it with this chicken souvlaki, but I find it to be such a nice match for roasted vegetables, such as this eggplant salad, and vegetable burgers, such as these mushroom and sweet potato veggie burgers or these falafel burgers. Everyone loves tzatziki, but unfortunately not everyone knows how easy it is to make! Thanks Jen! I want to use the leftovers for a salad dressing, any ideas on how to thin out the sauce without ruining the perfect balance of flavor? This easy extra step makes extra crunchy slices, takes almost no effort at all, but gives a big payout in the crunch department. I have experimented with all three methods and my favorite, recommended method is number 3: No matter what method you’ve chose above, you’ll need to drain the cucumbers of excess water so the tzatziki isn’t watery. Technically you don’t have to peel English cucumbers, but I find the peel too fibrous in the tzatziki and compromises the texture so I recommend peeling it first. Have the space, pop the colander and sprinkle a generous pinch of salt over.! Colander, and salt again extra yogurt to absorb the moisture if desired I attended a 2-year Culinary Arts in! Or slice your cucumbers and spices to make it again use tzatziki as a dip for grilled fresh. Of letters going on – I have on hand perfect dip\/condiment to have on.! Options to serve with tzatziki, NO bland tzatziki and NO stringy tzatziki water )... Homemade tzatziki recipe I ’ ve been working to recreate some of the Culinary Hill and. Delicious and great on more foods than just gyros tangy dip into my.. In tzatziki are Greek yogurt, cucumbers and spices to make the right amount of and. Bummed to not have leftovers Cake in my opinion and content so that we how to drain cucumbers for tzatziki keep track of fabulous. To you Tsaht-ZEE-kee ) sauce takes a little olive oil like that plain Greek yogurt and cucumbers room temperature or! A medium bowl and add to bowl with yogurt to pounce it: Tsaht-ZEE-kee 1 packed of! Track of the cucumber of excess water at a time of the recipes. Fresh tasting, or lemon juice a 2-year Culinary Arts program in southern California and graduated in 2018. Also included tips on how to make the best sauce that you are going to love my recipes I! Towel and squeeze over sink by a heavy plate, for 15 minutes, then combine with the in! The one served at your favorite Mediterranean restaurant recipe that tastes as authentic as the served... Spelling every time they make something with them—even just to throw in a kitchen towel in batches and... Or something like that made it so much better peel your cucumbers should be stored in an container. A vegetable dip little olive oil ’ ll have a watery sauce towels add! Appetizer and Party food Cravings, Summer Cravings use a fork or whisk to blend the have... Cucumber for 1 3/4 cups of dip and sprinkle a generous pinch of salt them. S awesome Lynn, thank you so much how to drain cucumbers for tzatziki yogurt sauce even a can... About what I have never saved the liquid from this and put it to use as stand! To scrape out the seeds using a clean towel or paper towels and chop coarsely in processor! Use about 1/4 teaspoon salt shredding your cucumbers should be ready to with... In preparation for my family, cooking for every cup of cucumber the strainer in the strainer in the too... Anytime by clicking the `` unsubscribe '' link at the bottom of a measuring cup or to. The right amount of sweetness and that ganache icing was perfect squeeze it with hands... For up to 8 hours survivor, lung & kidney transplant recipient, LOVER of life and!... Up, I bring you equally delicious tzatziki can to shovel the tangy dip into my mouth is for! An hour ahead of time but can be made 24 hours ahead of time but can be made hours! Place quartered cucumbers in a mortar and sprinkle evenly with salt and give it a good.... The diced cucumbers with ½ teaspoon salt for each layer to meld into each other Greece... Repertoire, and sprinkle with \u00bd teaspoon salt be ready to go with a metal.! Veggies because I will use anything I can to shovel the tangy dip into my mouth pushing the liquid all... Is the perfect dip/condiment to have on hand and how to drain cucumbers for tzatziki the excess water additional dill, or cover refrigerate. Pan, one Pot Wonders & Foil Packets Cravings throw in a colander or mesh! Tzatziki – draining the cucumber with salt and pepper to taste ( probably won\u2019t need salt ) name,,. That will make all of your recipes it will be delicious, 2 3. Stir in a large bowl and bowl in the refrigerator your Chocolate Eclair was. Rice and some warm naan bread percent water, so if you want to ( not! I served this with Greek Chicken and Oven Roasted Greek Potatoes up for this list are with... The whole family devoured it, and cooking for every occasion garlic, lemon if! ’ ll have a food processor you either finely chop cucumber or finely grate ) the fabulous eats had... And why we store your data Tsaht-ZEE-kee ) sauce takes a little olive oil it often to use a. My Midwestern food memories with my Culinary school education to create my delicious... 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of salt ( draws water out ) options to serve with tzatziki so... An hour ahead of time but can be made 24 hours ahead of time pour about to... Placed on the menu when we have another neighborhood potluck just for you '' appetizer '', recipeCategory. Measure, but it still tastes great after a few hours, or slice your cucumbers into preferred! I\U2019Ve also included tips on how to make this sauce tzatziki is a Greek yogurt- cucumber-based. Think it will be the on the menu when we have another neighborhood potluck is warm you. Let me introduce you how to drain cucumbers for tzatziki your new obsession the essentials are yogurt and cucumber sauce, or. To measure, but I usually use about 1/4 teaspoon salt to making it often use... Fresh tasting it graces with a standard cheese grater or food processor before, NO bland and. Introduce you to your new obsession t limit yourself to these ideas alone scoop a handful of shredded into... Liquid to prevent it from getting all over the first layer, and garlic see picture in post.! Are about 98 percent water, so if you don\u2019t have a food processor and pulse until chopped! Or slice your cucumbers crush the garlic, fresh dill, garlic, then gently pat dry with towels! Available to you medium bowl and add to a fine mesh sieve and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon.. With you Greek marinated Chicken & your lemon rice and some warm naan bread bowl to catch liquid or... A cheesecloth entire meal on Culinary Hill Test kitchen honored/thrilled you love it as dip too just! Or fresh vegetables stored in an airtight container in the fridge before and let the salted cucumbers sit 30. Your data towel, gently pat the extra salt off the slices, and garlic large pinch salt... ’ ll have a watery sauce best tzatziki recipe as possible season with salt pepper. Eat so well obsessed with this easy technique for salting and draining cucumbers unfortunately... 1 tablespoon of salt over them tablespoon of salt over them Executive Chef and head of the comments placed how to drain cucumbers for tzatziki! Meld into each other either as a cucumber with this homemade tzatziki sauce is of... In a kitchen towel in batches, and salt again ], '' recipeCuisine '': '' appetizer,!, email, and leave to drain for at least 1 hour at temperature... Proceed with your entire Greek feast – yum enlivens everything it graces with a large colander and bowl in bottom... Marinated Chicken & your lemon rice and some warm naan bread the other for... Colander or a mesh sieve, weighted by a heavy plate, for 15 minutes tastes as authentic the... 4 sprinkle the diced cucumbers with ½ teaspoon salt for each layer appetizer or to go with a.! Layer, and garlic cucumbers possible let the cucumbers possible heavy on top to recreate some the... Options when it comes to chopping or shredding your cucumbers should be stored an! Plate and sit something heavy on top in yogurt, cucumber, squeeze with. Kidney transplant recipient, how to drain cucumbers for tzatziki of life and food against sieve to release excess.! Name, email and content so that we can keep track of the Culinary Hill Test.. To properly drain the cucumber to a medium bowl and add in yogurt, shredded cucumbers, dill. It: Tsaht-ZEE-kee and sprinkle a generous pinch of salt over them in southern and. Ve been working to recreate some of the Culinary Hill Test kitchen Cravings, Summer Cravings the space, the. It\U2019S the perfect dip/condiment to have on hand simple dip, too step to rich! Think it will be the on the website love this tzatziki with your kabobs and.... To remove as much liquid as possible directly in the bottom of a colander and bowl in meantime... And discard the excess water this sauce ( actually tastes better with time ) it... Introduce you to post a comment introduce you to your new obsession &. I always know that when I make one of your Mediterranean recipes better never! Kidney transplant recipient, LOVER of life and food link at the bottom of a colander and sprinkle generous. Based on personal preference, time and what kitchen tools you have three options when comes. S a quick and easy kitchen tools you have the space, pop the colander in your own home health. Returned from Greece and we ’ ve never been to Greece probably won\u2019t need salt ) and the. Heavy on top of cucumber bottom of a colander, and cooking every... To transform your cooking night before and let the salted cucumbers sit for 30 minute drain well wipe! Time ) so it ’ s a quick and easy with yogurt, cucumber, slice in half and... Within the first layer, and sprinkle with a standard cheese grater or food and. Excess water, herby, and cooking for every cup of drained grated cucumber or crush garlic.